Local Foods To Try
- Slovlaki: Greek grilled meat and sometimes vegetables on a skewer. The fast food version is wrapped up in a pita with garnishes like onions and maybe sauce/paprika. Or, its served as an entree on a dinner plate with rice and/or fried potatoes.
- Mezedes: Small plates of food, similar to tapas. One of my favorite ways to eat because you get to sample a variety of food and perfect while drinking ouzo. Some of my favorites include: Fried hard cheese, Taziki, Grape Leaves.
- Koulouri: Sesame seed bread ring sold by street vendors for a snack. You'll see vendors all over selling these and they make a quick snack while on the go. Or you can opt for a sugar doughnut-like snack, called loukoumas which is often sold by the same street vendors.
- Greek Coffee: Otherwise known as Turkish coffee, this is a tooth grinder experience. It's basically a style of serving coffee where the roasted and finely ground coffee beans are boiled in a pot and served in a cup where the grounds are allowed to settle to the bottom. You usually specify how sweet you want it and they will add the sugar accordingly. I get mine medium sweet.
- Gelato: Okay, yes this is not a Greek food but it's sold all over the place...
- Greek Wine (from the barrel)
Where To Fill Your Belly
Makriyianni 3 Deli & Coffee
[Placeholder: Add Review - Best spot for coffee with proper cappuccino. Pastries good, open face sandwiches...]
- Location: 3 Makriyianni Street
- Telephone: +30 210 9230187
Great place to start your Greek food adventure!
- Location: 138 Adrianou street
- Area: Plaka
My favorite restaurant! Tucked in a little side street, away from the tourist crowds you'll find this gem. Go here for traditional mezedes.
- Location: 1, Epicharmou Street, Athens 10558, Greece
- Tel: +30.210.3246916
- Area: Plaka
Old restaurant worth going to in the Plaka with large outdoor dining area.
- Location: 4 Diogenous Street, Athens (Area: Plaka). To find it walk down Adrianou towards Monastiraki. Turn left on Mysicleos street and then take your first right which is Diogenous street.
- Tel: +30 210 322 0666
Jamie Oliver's recommendation for souvlaki
- Location: Mitropoleos 69, Monastiraki square, Athens - Just off the northeast corner of Monastiraki Square
- Tel: + 210-324-4705
[Placeholder: Add Review - Go for a drink and enjoy the view...]
- Location: Royal Olympic Hotel, 28–34 Athanasiou Diakou Street (Top floor of hotel, next to restaurant)
- Telephone: +30 210 9288400
- Website: http://www.royalolympic.com